Most people going solar will install a grid-tied system. The advantages of keeping your connection to the utility are:
- No need for batteries—the grid is there to provide power when the sun goes down.
- You can still “zero out” your electrical use on an annual basis.
- The system is easier and cheaper to install.
- Virtually no maintenance.
- No system management is required.
- You can take advantage of “time-of-use” metering to amplify the payback of your solar system.
- CA rebate and 30% Federal tax credit apply
New Off-Grid Systems
For people beyond the reach of the grid, we can put together a reliable and effective system for your remote electrical needs. Recent advances in technology make possible:
- A full-sized home with all the comforts,
- An occasional-use cabin,
- Or anything in between.
Benefits of an off-grid system include:
- Independence from the utility company.
- No utility power outages – even in winter storms.
- Adaptable for simple or full-amenities lifestyle.
- 30% Federal tax credit applies
Things you will need to consider:
- You will need to manage your energy budget.
- Maintenance is required.
- Back up generator will be required.
Off-Grid System Upgrade & Service
Do have an older off-grid system that needs service or improvement? We find it very satisfying to provide the following services:
- Re-powering or up-sizing solar arrays
- Upgrading to modern charge controllers, disconnects, and/or sine-wave inverters
- Battery servicing or replacement
- Bringing systems up to code and making safety improvements
- Modernizing roof attachments to new flashed methods, and aluminum rail systems
- Troubleshooting and evaluating charging and other problems
- Automatic generator start
- Battery monitoring systems
- Education in system operation and maintenance
Solar Powered Well Pumps
Nothing is more fun for us than to turn on a new solar pump system and watch water gush from a pipe, powered directly from the sun. “PV-direct”** submersible pump systems are:
- A simple and silent way to keep your tank full.
- Able to pump from a well, spring or pond.
- Fuel-free systems providing water wherever you want it; home use, garden, ranch, pond, etc.
Pumping water is easy:
- If you have an elevated tank, no other pump is required – good old gravity.
- Battery systems can also provide water pressure in remote applications if you don’t have a spot for an elevated tank.
- Reliable, minimal maintenance necessary.
** PV- direct – pump connected directly to solar panel pumping water whenever the sun is shining.
Electric Car Charging Station
Do you own, or are you planning on buying an electric car? Let solar energy be your fuel!
- A grid-tied system will produce energy during the day, being “stored” on the grid for later use. You can charge your car in your garage at night using the energy from the day’s production.
- We can size a system to provide the amount of “fuel” you need for the car, or it can be added to a larger system to offset your household usage.
- Rebates and special PG&E rate schedules are available for car charging stations.